Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Uselessly Opinionated, Professional debators"


Just the Monday we honored the great Vaishnava Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura. A week earlier I was gifted with one of his amazing works, the "Sri Caitanya Siksamrta".

I thought that I should just browse through the book. As I was in the middle of some other books. However book itself told me not to read it. As checked the index index I found this interesting topic, 'Studying Many Scriptures'
this is what is said,


"The devotees should only learn the scriptures concerning bhakti (loving service to God) and those works that conform to the conclusions of bhakti. However, because of a lack of time, to read small parts of large works without completing a full study is not advised. Devotees should read a work thoroughly. Otherwise, they will become uselessly opinionated, professional debaters. Some people take pleasure in arguing with any statement they hear, whether good or bad. This is forbidden for devotees."


After reading this I decided to finish the books that I am working on so that I can give proper attention to this wonderful work when I am done.
Hare Krishna
Your humble servant,
Nityananda Chandra Das

No comments: