Tuesday, September 24, 2013

TEXAS FAITH 110: Has college football become too violent for the faithful?

Dallas Morning News,

Each week we will post a question to a panel of about two dozen clergy, laity and theologians, all of whom are based in Texas or are from Texas. They will chime in with their responses to the question of the week. And you, readers, will be able to respond to their answers through the comment box.

Let’s take a break from the weariness of finding the right strategy for the Mideast and deal with sports. Namely, football.

I confess that I have — again — grown to love college football. I enjoy going to TCU games with my 10-year old son, who loves to run the field before the game and root loudly for the Horned Frogs. In fact, it is hard getting him out of a TCU T-shirt these days.

I enjoy the game because it is fast, exciting and strategic. It also is just fun watching the bands and streamers and frivolity. And, being a fan, I like to see my team(s) do well. (As a graduate of the University of Texas who grew up attending TCU games, I spread my cheering around each weekend!)

But as I watch these games, and see players carted off the field, I often inwardly wince. Am I participating in some kind of modern lions-and-Christians blood-lust? And I am doing this at someone else’s expense? The NFL just settled with retired football players to the tune of $750 million over the concussions some of them received. For some players, they have been life-altering concussions.

Related to all this, I felt sick when I picked up our paper and read that CBS Sports was putting a “Johnny Cam” to cover every move of A&M’s Johnny Manziel in his game against Alabama. The guy is a showboat, but he is still only a kid.

So, are we reaching the point where rooting for college football teams is too much? In this Christianity Today essay, Owen Strachan raises the penetrating question: Should Christian fans step away from such a physically devastating, violent sport?

I would broaden his question to ask this question:

Should people of faith who love college football step away from such a physically devastating, violent sport?

NITYANANDA CHANDRA DAS, minister of ISKCON (International Society for Krishna Consciousness), Dallas 

As time progresses we invent more and more ways to waste time. Spiritual life is not meant to be belief on the backburner but rather something that actually satisfies. A satisfied soul is not interested in wasting time in material activities.

Why is time important?

Because that which you hold dear to your heart will decided where you go after death. If you are invested in the temporary, you will take birth again in this temporary world. So one should use this valuable form of human life to seek and experience the eternal by developing a loving relationship with God. Hare Krishna.

of life: People misidentify the self/soul with this temporary ever changing material body, this is called ignorance.

To see all responses of the TEXAS Faith panel click here.

No comments: