Thursday, December 8, 2011

If the dress is superficial, why should you change your dress to please people who are so serious about the superficial?

Prabhupada: Why your dress is not as a sannyas?


Tusta Krsna: The robes make people uncomfortable, Prabhupada. They see you as different and can’t relate. They won’t relax enough to listen when I wear robes.


Prabhupada: But sannyasis must dress in saffron with robes and shaved head.


Tusta Krsna: I am following all the principles, but the dress is external and superficial. Why should we let it hamper the preaching?


Prabhupada: If the dress is superficial, why should you change your dress to please people who are so serious about the superficial? [Pause.] You understand my point? Superficial people become controlled by superficial and external things. Why do you dress to please superficial people? You should dress to please Krsna.


Tusta Krsna: So you would like me wear saffron and shave up?


Prabhupada: Yes, I want you to promise this. Only wear saffron and keep your head shaved. This is sannyƤsi dress. You should promise.


Tusta Krsna: Yes, Prabhupada. I promise.

No comments: