Friday, April 17, 2009

What is with the attire?



Today I was at the post office for many many hours. Dallas Ratha Yatra is happening on the following Saturday, the 25th. So I was there doing the bulk mail out invite. About 2500 beautiful postcards illustrating Lord Jagannatha, Baladeva, and Subhadra, the festival in Puri, and Dallas.

While passing through their accounting office and back to their mailing department an African American woman, who was in her earlier 50's, asked me this question, "What is with the attire?" I answered, "I am a Hare Krishna." She didn't seem to understand what I was saying so I said Hare Krishna again, but still she did not really understand. I then sang the Maha Mantra in the classic melody and then she immediately smiled and said yes. I told her that we are in East Dallas and that we have a wonderful restaurant. She asked what kind of food do we serve. I told her that we do many menus, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Indian, and that it was all vegetarian food. With a big smile she said, "I am a vegetarian! I have been for for one year."

Wearing clothes that make others remember Krishna is a very effective way to be able to introduce Krishna Consciousnes to others. Hare Krishna
Your humble servant,
Nityananda Chandra Das

No comments: